K-12 Annual Essay/Poster Contest
Are you a K-12 public, private, or homeschooled student in Greenville County? Learn about conservation topics and submit an essay or poster in our annual conservation contest! Each year, students will focus on a specific topic related to stewardship.
Contest open to all grade levels!
When you ate breakfast this morning, did you think about where it came from? When we purchase our food at the grocery store it’s often easy to forget what a long process it is to get the food from farm to table. Each of us has a responsibility to make the connection between where our food comes from and the conservation of the land where it grows.
- Student may submit either an essay or a poster for consideration
- Entries must be the original work of an individual student (no team entries or copying other folk's work)
- Contest entries may be submitted digitally via our website or delivered to the GCSWCD office by mail or in person
- All mailed/delivered entries must include a cover page with:
- student name and home mailing address / email address (winners will be contacted by email)
- name of school & teacher (if applicable) and grade level
Entries may address ANY OR ALL of the following:
- Why is healthy soil important?
- How do you interact daily with the soil?
- What connection does healthy soil have to people?
- What can you do to help keep our soil healthy?
- How does healthy soil impact our food system?
Up to three $25 awards available in each grade band for each contest category (essay/poster).
Entry Deadline: 4:30 PM on Friday, October 28, 2022
Essay Word Count Requirements
- Essays should be typed for online submission
- Handwritten (in ink) essays may be submitted by mail or in person to our office
- Essays should be submitted in .pdf or as a Word document
- BE CREATIVE! The winners each year have shown a level of creativity and content over and above the average. Tell a personal story or anecdote to make your essay stand out in a crowd.
- Punctuation and grammar count! Make sure your essay is double checked for errors!